One word describes our annual club dinner – Magnifique!
A typical miserable mid-winter evening in Auckland didn’t hold back the excellent member turnout that enjoyed a fabulous night of great company and food at La Cigale French Bistro.
On arrival you couldn’t help but stop for a moment to check out the gleaming new Mercedes GLA parked at the door. A ‘weekend’s use’ was the grand prize draw on the night, compliments of Mercedes-Benz North Shore, and we all had our fingers crossed we’d be the one!
Entering in to the warmth of La Cigale, jaunty French music and long tables set with flowers and candlelight greeted you, along with the buzz of members talking up a storm over pre-dinner drinks. When the food came we were astounded at the amount and quality, it was simply superb and more than any of us could eat. The prizegiving to celebrate member achievements followed, with Chris Haliday doing a great job as MC and vice president Garry Boyce happily handing out the wide array of trophies.
- Clubman Trophy (AD Organ Memorial Clubman Trophy) Greg Lokes
Awarded to the member with the most club points gained over the year
- Ladies Attendance Trophy (Philomena Organ Cup) Barbara Lokes
Awarded to the lady member with the most club points gained over the year
- Clubman Family Member (Queenin Trophy ) William Morton
Presented for the most attendances by an associated family member
- Concours d’Elegance ( Brookes Trophy) Gary Boyce
Galaxy of Cars, peoples’ choice, Best of Show Pre 1970, for his 1957 300SL
- Concours d’Rue (Marx Trophy) Simon George
Galaxy of Cars, peoples’ choice, Best of Show Post 1970, for his 1978 450SL.
- Economy Trophy (Carol Nielson Trophy) Greg Lokes
Winner of the Economy Run… pretty good for a lead footed petrol head!
- Grass Gymkhana (Linda Johnson Trophy) Ken Williams
The clear winner
- Trials Trophy (Peter Braun Trophy) Christopher Haliday
Awarded to Chris as the overall winner over three Trials events
- Best Magazine Article (Fleming Tray ) Geoff Bogue
For his great write-up on the Top Down Tour in March
- Committee Discretionary Award (Vankan Cup) Bill Bray
Awarded by the committee for always manning the BBQ so fantastically
- Committee Merit Award (English Tray) Vivian Decker
Awarded for her outstanding service to the committee as Treasurer
- Millennium Trophy (Vankan Cup) Alison Lambden
Awarded by the president for Alison’s magnificent contribution to the management of the website and magazine
- Hard Luck Trophy (Broken Piston) Ken Williams
For crashing his Mercedes on the front straight at Hampton Downs on a wet and slippery ‘Have a Go Day’ in August
- The famous Wooden Spoon (The Stirrer) Dez & Barbara Harrison
For having the audacity to turn up to the Top Down Tour in a Corvette as their Merc wasn’t a convertible, and didn’t think anyone would notice! A Merc star was quickly engineered and put over the corvette emblem for decency’s sake.
The Door Prize ‘The Use of the New Mercedes GLA for a Weekend‘ was drawn by Brand Manager Brendon Mearns and awarded to a very lucky Joe & Bonnie Burns. We look forward to hearing about their weekend adventure in the lovely GLA. Thanks again to Mercedes-Benz North Shore for supporting our club with this fabulous prize.
Yet another great club occasion, thoroughly enjoyed by all. We’re now looking forward to our next event coming up in September when we head back out on the road for a smooth run south to take in some of Waikato’s highlights. See you there!